Post-harvest losses occur between harvest and the moment of human consumption. SACDEP- Kenya in partnership with SNV (Netherlands Development Organization) in Collaboration with Consumer Unity Trust Society (CUTS) and Society of Crop Agribusiness Advisors (SOCAA) is implementing Voice for Charge Partnership (V4CP) Project since December 2017. Under thematic area on Food Nutrition and Security. The project is focusing on FS&FLR in Murang’a, Nyandarua, Laikipia and Nakuru Counties in Milk, Irish Potatoes, Kale and Cabbage value chains. By collaborating with national and international partners like International Food Policy and Research Institute (IFPRI), different levels of Government like Kenya Dairy Board (KDB), Horticulture Development Directorate (HCD), and the private sector. SACDEP-Kenya contributes to improving the ‘enabling environment’. Guaranteeing that community champions have a greater voice in issues such as policy creation and implementation or better provision of services, ensures that the interests of the communities they represent are better served.
The objectives of the V4CP are to contribute to food loss reduction through;
- Mobilizing and training community champions to lobby and advocate for food loss by effectively engaging their respective County government in development of county intergraded development plan.
- Developing and sharing on advocacy plan on reducing post-harvest losses with the county leadership and community champions.
- Supporting the implementation of food loss reduction strategies to be undertaken by the community through their community champion’s participation in public hearing.
- Influence agenda setting by stimulating collaboration among community champions other CSOs, private sector and other players.
In partnership with SNV Netherlands Development Organization and other CSOs, we intend to mitigate against the increasing food losses in the four Counties through;
- Documenting the available information on food loss in the four value Chains i.e. Milk, Kale, Cabbage and Irish potatoes.
- Sharing the collected information with County Leadership and Community Champions to equip them with lobbying material to the County and National governments.
Carrying out training plans on food loss reduction to the community champions.